Howard Rheingold, the father of virtual communities, is already on to the next revolution – Smart Mobs. He’s written a new book and created an updated nice website about it. The revolutionary potential of Wi-Fi is that it enables the emergence of an ad-hoc, on-the-fly, real-time, constantly in-flux wireless and decentralized internet. A company Mesh Networks, has already risen to capitalize on this trend. Everyone becomes a node in the emergent network. The beauty of this scheme is that it would completely by-pass all means of centralized control, and empower old-style internet (i.e. anonymous and uncensored) communications from the bottom-up using the unregulated spectrum of garage door openers. Obviously, the emergence of such a network levels the playing field all over again, and therefore scares the crap out of the big boys. Why? Because such a network could easily bypass all of their expensive networks and revenue streams. Will they attempt to crush this technology using legal or technological strangleholds? They are likely to try, but the tricky part is getting this spectrum regulated when nearly every remote control device in existence operates in it.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Flash MP3 Player
Here is the Music Player. You need to installl flash player to show this cool thing!
- Crashing Oil Prices Due to Emerging Solar Economy
- Unemployment, Artificial Scarcity and Radical Abundance
- Fourteen Known Mechanisms Involved in Aging—and What You Can Do about Them
- Nomadic Ecovillages
- Ted Nelson’s Take On Who Satoshi Nakamoto Is
- Bioluminescence Surfing
- Surf Teahupo‘o Roars To Life
- Mathematician Makes Astounding Prime Numbers Breakthrough
- Stigmergy in Action
- RT @FutureThinkers_: FTP046: Mitigating Existential Risks with Daniel Schmachtenberger: https://t.co/eyGmHspFSD via @YouTube, 7 hours ago
- Next new toy at Burning Man - handheld digital 3D "hologram" effects fan. https://t.co/9QuGSF0BUT, Oct 16
- Stop calling it a "cryptocurrency". It's digital fiat. Nothing crypto about it. It's centralized, taxable, censorab… https://t.co/3xAvZscLgd, Oct 15
Friends & Kindred Spirits